Frequently Asked Questions: The Suma Platform and our Summer Special
Q: What is the suma summer special?
Suma is working with St Johns Farmers Market, King Farmers Market, Lime e-scooters, Hacienda CDC, Home Forward and other partners to make it easy for residents of Home Forward’s New Columbia community, Hacienda CDC residents, and qualifying SNAP beneficiaries to access fresh fruits and vegetables this summer and fall. Participating suma users may access free transportation from Lime e-scooters and subsidized farmers market vouchers via the suma app starting Saturday, July 15. Email email@example.com to request additional accommodations.
Q: How does the summer special work?
First Time Buyers: Validated community members can sign-up for the suma summer special by:
- Logging into the suma app (app.mysuma.org)
- Selecting the “Farmers Market Ride & Shop” offering on the food page
- Adding $5 to their suma wallet
- Completing the checkout process
- Congrats! You now have access to $24 worth of vouchers to spend at the farmers market
- Log into the suma app
- Load anywhere between $1-15 and suma will match you 1:1 per market day (user loads $15, suma matches with $15, user has a total of $30 in vouchers to spend)
- Select the “Farmers Market 1 to 1 Voucher Match” offering in the food page
- Complete the checkout process
- Redeem your purchase at the farmers market
You can also let us know in the app if you need transportation.
Participating users will be notified with a confirmation message.
Q: Who can participate in the suma summer special?
We are offering our suma summer special to residents of Home Forward’s New Columbia community, Hacienda CDC residents, and qualifying SNAP beneficiaries. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about participating. For updates on future specials please follow us on instagram at instagram.com/mysuma.
Q: At what time does the event start?
- The St Johns Farmers Market is every Saturday from 9 am to 2 pm until October 28.
- The King Farmers Market is every Sunday from 10 am to 2 pm until November 19
Q: Tell me more about transportation.
Great news! Suma has secured free Lime e-scooter rides for summer special participants to and from the St Johns and King Farmers markets through the suma app until the end of the season. We are also offering alternative transportation options for elders, adults with disabilities, and users with children. Please let us know in the checkout process if you need transportation.
Here are e-scooter and bike friendly maps that will get you to your desired farmers market!
Q: Who is suma?
Suma is a nonprofit organization in Portland, OR. Founded in 2020, we believe that community-led technology is required to advance financial independence and quality of life for low-income families.
Q: What is the suma app?
We developed the suma app to stretch your money and help our communities save on the things they buy the most:
- Food: our farmers market summer special, with more options on the way.
- Transportation: free e-scooter rides and training available as part of the summer special, with more options on the way.
- Utilities: none available yet, but coming soon! Let the suma team know what kind of utilities you want to see on the suma app by emailing us at apphelp.mysuma.org.
Here is the app url: app.mysuma.org
You can use the web-based suma app on your phone, tablet, or laptop. We believe a web-based app is easier to access, and this means you won’t find the suma app at the Apple Store or Google Play. To find more information about the suma app, visit our website: https://mysuma.org/
Q: How was the suma app developed?
Since 2020, the suma staff has worked with community members like you through surveys, pilot projects, and small group discussions to develop the suma app.
We’ve worked with many partners to engage community members, including Hacienda CDC, Home Forward, Our Just Future (formerly Human Solutions), Proud Ground, Verde, Community Vision, Brown Hope, Immigrant Community & Refugee Organization and others.
Q: What if I need help enrolling?
If you need further assistance, please reach out to us at email@example.com
Q: Can I use a prepaid debit card?
Most prepaid debit cards should work. But, some prepaid debit cards can’t be used for “online purchases” at times so please keep this in mind.
Q: I’m concerned with the privacy of my personal information, how am I ensured of its security?